There is no shortage of information available on Transit-Oriented Development. With literally hundreds of articles, books and studies available on the topic, simply deciding what to read can be overwhelming.
The following lists are no longer updated with the latest resources. Use the Resource Database above for the latest information.
Resources by Format
TOD Resources: Reports and Articles
Foundation Work: TCRP 102 Transit-Oriented Development in the United States: Experiences, Challenges, and Prospects, 2004
- Understanding How Individuals Make Travel and Location Decisions: Implications for Public Transportation
, 2008 New!
- Global Climate Change report summary , 2008 New!
- The Broader Connection between Public Transportation, Energy Conservation and Greenhouse Gas Reduction, 2008 New!
- Conversion of malls to mixed-use centers gathers speed, 2008
- A Better Way to Go, 2008
- Shifting Ground, an NPR series, 2008
- PPS newsletter "Great Cities", 2008
- Greenhouse Gas Reduction And Energy Conservation: Public Transportation's Strategic Role, 2008
- Nonmotorized Transportation Pilot Program (NTPP) 2008
- Colorado Housing Factsbook 2008
- Eight Ways to Build Collaborative Teams, 2007
- Financing walkable urbanism 2007
- Pedestrians 2007 a TRB report
- Transportation Survey 2007
- The Sticker Shock of Sprawl 2007
- TCRP 95 Transit-Oriented Development Traveler Response to Transportation System Changes, 2007
- What is placemaking? Bulletin from PPS
- Public Transportation and Petroleum Savings in the U.S.:Reducing Dependence on Oil 2007
- FTA guidelines for joint development projects 2007
pages 5788 to 5800
- Transit-Oriented Development: Quantifying Density's Affect on Transit Ridership in the Bay Area 2006
- Parking Spaces / Community Places, EPA 2006
- TOD Developing a Strategy to Measure Success: 2005
- Accessible Cities and Regions: A Framework for Sustainable Transport and Urbanism in the 21st Century 2005
- Estimated value of new Investment Dallas Area Rapid Transit 2005
- Thirty Years of Trends in TOD across America, 2005 New!
- A Plan for Tomorrow:Creating Stronger, Healthier Cities Today 2004 (slides)
- Light Rail and the American City: State-of-the-Practice for Transit-Oriented Development
- Travel Characteristics of TOD in California 2003 New!
- Urban Design, Transportation, Environment and Urban Growth: Transit-Supportive Urban Design Impacts on Suburban Land Use and Transportation Planning. 2003
- Transit-Oriented Development and Joint Development in the United States: A Literature Review 2002, FTA sponsored
- Land Value Impacts of Rail Transit Services in CA 2001-2003
Santa Clara County ; San Diego County ; Los Angles County
Local Publications & Presentations
- Unlocking the Code: Expanding Mixed-Income Housing at Transit-Oriented Developments (presentations) New
- Original 2004 RTD FasTracks plan
TOD Desired Outcomes Survey Report New
- Going to Market with TOD Presentation, Jan 2008
- RTD 2007 Status Report
- Building a Greener Colorado
- T-Rex TOD Lessons Learned
- Residential Street Typology and Injury Accident Frequency (Longmont)
Report on TODay Workshop 1: Phasing
Report on TODay Workshop 2: Financing
Report on TODay Workshop 3: Distinctiveness
- "Show Me More Money"
Stainback presenation ; Edlen presenation
- RTD NW Rail/US 36 BRT TOD Workshop Report (July 2007)
part 1, part 2, part 3
- RTD's TOD Strategic Plan
- Innovative Approaches to Land Assembly
Presented as a Web-based workshop by Prost & Starnes April 23, 2007
- Ten Denver TODs
- Denver Planning's TOD Lunch Talk
Presented by Park, Cox-Blair and, Yake on April 5, 2007
- Leveraging TOD and Housing in the West Corridor
Presentation by Reconnecting America, a 2006 TOD and housing analysis of the West Corridor.
- The Case for Mixed-Income TOD in the Denver Region
- Transit-Oriented Development Status Report February 2007
Prepared for the RTD Board of Directors.
- Financing TOD February 2007
Presented by David Starnes at the TODay Financing Workshop
- Placemaking in FasTracks World January 2007,
TOD Lunch Talk presentation given by John Desmond, Downtown Denver Partnership
- Transit-Oriented Development Status Report November 2005, Prepared for The RTD Board of Directors, Bill Sirois
- Financing Strategies for Infill, published by the Denver Regional Council of Governments.
- Regulatory Strategies for Infill, published by the Denver Regional Council of Governments.
- Transportation Strategies for Infill, published by the Denver Regional Council of Governments.
- "Creating Livable Communities Through Transit," published by the Liveable Communities Support Center, Civic Results and Environment Colorado Research and Policy Center.
- Invasion of the Trufflespublished by Peak Public Relations, Ken Parks and Tom Boone.
- Creating and Sustaining People-Oriented Places: A Transit Alliance Best Practices Study
- The Impact of FasTracks on the Metro Denver Economy
- Intermodality [Blog] New!
- The Overhead Wire [Blog] New!
- TRB Best Practices Conference: Coordination of Transit, Regional Transportation Planning and Land Use. August, 2007 in Denver, Colorado.
- Presentations and papers from Rail*volution 2007
- The Advocate Toolkit
- Housing Prototypes: Multidwelling Zones http://www.portlandonline.com/planning/index.cfm?c=eebih
- Index of TOD papers
- FTA TOD page
- West Coast TND's
- Utah's TOD guide
- Center for Transit Oriented Development Revised
- Get Centered: Portland MPO's town center program
- The Next American City : Transportation Issue
- The Association for Community Design
- Alan M. Voorhees Transportation Center
- Funders network funding smart growth from non-profits
- Visualizing Density Online Tool
- Download Webinars from Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC)
- Smart Growth Planning, the transportation perspective
- Metropolitan Transit Commission http://www.mtc.ca.gov/planning/smart_growth/#tod
- National Council for Public/Private Partnerships http://ncppp.org/resources/
- Transportation Demand Management (TDM) Encyclopedia www.vtpi.org/tdm/
- Transitorienteddevelopment.org www.transitorienteddevelopment.org
- Transit Villages , http://www.transitvillages.org/
- Center for Neighborhood Technology , http://www.cnt.org/
- Congress for the New Urbanism, http://www.cnu.org
- Livable Places, http://www.livableplaces.org/
- Regional Transportation District , http://www.rtd-denver.com/Projects/TOD/
- Pennsylvania Environmental Council. http://www.pecpa.org/_final_pec/html/TOD.htm
- California Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) Searchable Database , http://transitorienteddevelopment.dot.ca.gov/
- American Public Transportation Association , http://www.apta.com/
- San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART) , http://www.bart.gov/index.asp
- Center for Transportation Studies , http://www.cts.umn.edu/trg/
- Seattle Department of Transportation, TOD Case Studies , http://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/transportation/ppmp_sap_todstudies.htm
- Regional Transportation Authority, http://www.rtachicago.com/CMS200Sample/index.asp?id=68
- Growing Cooler: The Evidence on Urban Development and Climate Change by Ewing, Walters, Winkelman New
- Urban Sprawl and Public Health Designing, Planning, and Building for Healthy Communities by Frumkin, Frank,and Jackson
- The Great Neighborhood Book, Walljasper, Jay
- Visualizing Density, Campoli, Julie and Alex S. MacLean
- Charrette Handbook: The Essential Guide for Accelerated, Collaborative Community Planning, Bill Lennertz
- Choosing Our Community's Future: A Citizen's Guide to Getting the Most Out of New Development David Goldberg
- Financing Infrastructure, ULI
- Charter of the New Urbanism, The Congress for the New Urbanism
- Future Transport in Cities, Brian Richards
- How to Turn a Place Around, Project for Public Spaces
- Involving the Community in Neighborhood Planning, ULI, Deborah L. Myerson
- Managing Downtown Public Spaces, Project for Public Spaces
- Modern Trains and Splendid Stations
- Moving Beyond Gridlock, Robert Dunphy
- New American Urbanism, John A. Dutton
- New Departures, Anthony Perl
- Redesigning Cities, Jonathan Barnett
- Repairing the American Metropolis, Douglas Kelbaugh
- Sustainability and Cities , Newman and Kenworthy
- Ten Principles for Successful Development Around Transit, ULI, Robert Dunphy
- The Image of the City, Kevin Lynch
- The Transit Metropolis, Robert Cervero
- The New Transit Town, Hank Ditmar and Gloria Ohland
- The Next American Metropolis , Peter Calthrope
- The Regional City, Peter Calthorpe and William Fulton
- The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces, William H. Whyte
- Transit Villages in the 21st Century, Bernick and Cervero
- Place Making, Charles Bohl
- Urban Villages: The Making of Community, Peter Neal